He is an active Composer, Arranger, Orchestrator, Clinician and Educator.
He enjoys creating new and unique music for Wind Ensemble, Orchestra, Chamber Groups and Choir.
He also enjoys sharing his passion for music with others. He takes his presentation on The Emotional Effects of Film Music on the Listener into public school classrooms.
Awards and Accolades:
He won his first award for Wind Ensemble Music in 1994 as a Freshman at the University of Utah. His entry, “Festival De Ladrones (Festival of Thieves)” took First Place Finalist in the National Band Association Merrill Jones Memorial Composition Contest for young composers.”
- “I have hired Dave several times to write arrangements for T Minus 5. Every time he has hit and exceeded expectations.”
Jared Allen – T-Minus 5
- “David is an exceptional American composer. I have had the pleasure of listening, and recording his music now for the better part of 20 years. His music evokes a wide range of emotions, and flows smoothly between simple passages, to complex rhythmic and harmonic structures that set the stage for a strong emotional connection. I would highly recommend David Checketts for any production, either personal, or commercial.”
Todd Feeney – Professional Musician, Composer, Audio Engineer
- “David is simply one of the most talented musicians and composers I have ever known. His attention to nuance and immaculate detail always creates a memorable and influential artistic experience. I would trust David with any of my projects.”
J. Michael Bailey – Actor, Designer and Singer/Songwriter
Bachelors of Music in Composition from the University of Utah. Studied with Henry Wolking.
Pacific Northwest Film Scoring Program. Studied with Emmy-Winning film composer Hummie Mann and Tim Huling.
David has worked with local filmmakers, providing scores and source cues:
- Original Score for “The Bug in the Bathroom”, Written and directed by CM Dawson.
- Original Score for “Best Served Cold”, Directed by Elizabeth Hansen.
Entry in the 2008 Utah Arts Council ’48 hours in Utah’ Film Festival.
- Original Score for Stage production of “Arcadia”, Directed by J. Michael Bailey.
- Original Score for “The China Buffet”, Written and Directed by Mark DeWolfe.
Entry in the 2007 Sundance Film Festival. Entry in the 2007 Slamdance Film Festival.
- Music Consultant for “Begin Again”, Written and Directed by Lisa Vanderhooft Spurrier.
in 2002, David enjoyed a rare privilege as he was selected as the Official Staff Musical Arranger for the 2002 Olympic® Spirit Band. He provided several arrangements for many different sized ensembles, His arrangements were played at the Opening and Closing Ceremonies as well as venues through the entirety of the games.
Marching Band Field Shows:
- Davis High School – Kaysville, UT.
- Riverton High School – Riverton, UT.
- Bignham High School – South Jordan, UT.
- Fremont High School – Plain City, UT.
- Lone Peak High School – Highland, UT.
- Skyview High School – Smithfield, UT.
- Copper Hills High School – West Jordan, UT.
- Lancaster High School – Lancaster, CA.
- University of Utah – Salt Lake City, UT.
Original School Fight Songs:
- Fremont High School Silverwolves – Plain City, UT.
- Corner Canyon High School Chargers – Draper, UT.
“Festival De Ladrones” for Concert Band – published by TRN Publishers of Alto, NM.
All other works are published by David Checketts Music of SLC, UT.